Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cupcake Giganticus

This is a challenge not set out in The Book but of Betty's own making - spying some silicon "giant cupcake" baking kits on sale, she decided that we both could use one.

I don't think the consequences of Cupcake Giganticus was fully appreciated at this point.

It starts off seeming relatively simple: any cake mix ("where's the any key?"), divide in half, put half in the top and half in the bottom, then put a lid on the bottom which then forms a hollow in the base with which to stuff creamy goodness.

Yes, simple. So on a night where I managed one culinary disaster before 7pm, I took on the giant cupcake. I lived to tell the tale, but only just.

I started from first principles: the plan was to make a basic AWW butter cake mixture (tick!) to form the cake part. Comments? It would have taken 1.5 times the quantity and would have been the better for it.

Next stage: create the filling. I whipped a small container of cream with a few generous tablespoons of lemon curd to soft peaks.

I turned the cake from the mould (perfect - not a crumb stuck to it, very impressive). It was fine but the hollow was rather more shallow than I had anticipated, so I was left with an excess of filling. On top of the lemon cream I placed some fresh raspberries.

Instead of proceeding with the fluffy frosting as planned, I decided to ice the cake with the remaining filling.  Then I popped two maraschino cherries on top (after eating half the jar before any of them made it near the cake) and decorated with "fairy dust" (sprinkles).

Result? Blobby but presumably tasty. It was supposed to be a bon voyage cake to the Big Boss but it's not quitehow i anticipated. I was going to try again but weariness got the best of me!


























PS since I know you're reading this, LVV, we're going to miss you - a lot.

xxMartha

2 comments:

  1. Martha

    As always, I am delighted and amazed with your epic cake constructions. And where do you get the energy to build such a beast on a work night? It's an absolute beauty. Bravo, well done. Tickled pink at the efforts you go to. I will keep an eye on the blog during my travels. xx LVV

    ReplyDelete